Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Looking for Gear

I'm on LL Bean looking at backpacking tents.  I think the biggest issues will be finding a tent that I like and a backpack that fits me.  As I mentioned in a previous post I have looked on LL Bean before for what I would need for backpacking when I have thought of backpacking across the USA.  I don't plan on hiking or backpacking in the winter so I won't need a 4-season tent.

For sure I know I'll need the following:


  • Sleeping bag
  • Sleeping bag pad
  • Tent
  • Footprint for tent
  • Cooking stove
  • Backpacking cookware
  • Headlamp (found)
  • Flashlight (found a solar flashlight)
  • Hiking boots
  • Backpack
  • Water bottles (found)
  • Food
  • Clothes
  • Rain jacket probably would be a good idea
  • Water treatment
  • First-aid kit probably a good idea 
  • Thermos
  • Hiking Poles
  • Diaries (which I can easily get from Barnes and Noble so that's pretty much taken care of)
  • Orange safety vest probably a good idea for when hiking on roads
  • Camera (for pictures)
I figure that it is good to possibly slowly start buying gear now so when I go on my first backpacking adventure I am all set.  My goal is to do either the Ohio to Erie Trail or the Te Araroa Trail before school starts back up.  Probably I'll end up doing the Ohio to Erie Trail as the Te Araroa Trail takes three to six months to do the entire trail.  The Ohio to Erie Trail I think is shorter than that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment